Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Faculty Concert

I’d have to say that I found the music pretty unique. I would have never included the sounds I heard that night in “Latin” Music. When you hear the term Latin Music I like to believe that a lot of us think about something along the lines of Shakira or maybe even something with more drums and trumpets. Now that I think about it, I feel like I was the one who missed the memo. I went in looking for a large group comprised of school staff members, not a performing group referred to as “The Faculty”. I wonder if the majority of the audience felt the way I did or were they up to speed. Coming upon this realization in this manner also kind of closed my mind off to the performance. I don’t think I have ever witnessed a violin and a clarinet trading off and coming together in such ways. Granted that some of these sounds were very interesting and pleasing to listen too, at times I could not wrap my mind around anything near “appreciation”. I did appreciate the dedication and the willingness to share of the performers. When the violinist started to have fun with the music and with the audience, it was easy to tell that this was a group who got together to do just that, even if this had not happened the expressions on the faces of the performers at times as the performed portrayed their passion for music just as plainly. Also, if I had trouble finding the main statements in the piece looking for the appearance of the mood on their faces also helped.
Friday night was filled with a bunch of different sounds. I found “How So Insensitive” (if I remember correctly :/ ) my favorite piece. There were no urgent emails and no apparent need to hurry. The doors remained open and the dressed didn’t seem over dressed and the people who came casual were excellent as well. I think everyone was looking for something refreshing that night (or just to get a blog out of the way) and sitting in the conference center we found something close to what we were looking for.

No comments:

Post a Comment