Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Japanese Noh Theater



I don't know why but I found this actually kind of scary. Maybe it is that Japanese idea of ma that was getting to me. This video I believe is the illustration of the textbook. You can see four musicians (can't really tell what that random guy off to the side is doing). The flute is the first Nohkan is the first sound heard upon pressing play. Just by watching you can see the main drummer doing most of the chanting that ties closely to Shomyo. I could help but to think of that loser Solja Boi's superman song "YOU!!!!!". Maybe it was more intellect it, maybe he took some style from the Buddhist monks(or not...) I watched the drummers play their overlapping uneven rhythms that seemed to make all the sense in the world in this Noh performance. It was fun (and scary) to watch the characteristic masked dancer. I'd go a performance if I could. Its so different it seems almost irresistible to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment